Yesterday I mentioned in my post that being pregnant has taught me a lot about myself and other people and I thought I'd share some of my insights and new-found wisdom with you all. Just remember, every pregnancy is different and so we all will react differently to any given situation, this is just my experience.
1. Never tell a pregnant woman that she looks small. We are worried enough and do not need to worry that our baby has stopped growing. Your comments on appearance should always be that she looks great!
2. Never tell a pregnant woman that she looks huge. We know we are huge but there is a baby in there and that is what is supposed to happen. Again, just tell her she looks great.
3. If you want to touch her belly, ask first and remember that you would never touch a non-pregnant person's belly so please do not linger. Give it a quick pat, rub and then remove your hand. I repeat, unless you are the spouse or she has asked you to feel the baby move, do. not. linger.
4. Don't make us feel guilty. about anything. Being pregnant, eating ice cream. Just support us.
5. Pregnancy hormones are real. I was a doubter and most people around me have made it through the last 8 months relatively unscathed, however, I assure you, when we cry because the DVR did not record the last 30 seconds of Pretty Little Liars, to us, in that tragic moment, there is nothing worse. And we aren't faking it.
6. A good husband can make or break your pregnancy experience. My husband has been phenomenal. I cannot say enough good about this man. He has been my biggest supporter, cheerleader and encourager throughout this entire process. He has missed 2 doctor's appointments -- one because I had a little scare, and one because he couldn't get off of work -- he cooks, cleans, hired me a maid, walks the dogs so I don't have to get out in this heat, rubbed my...everything, taken me out for silly things like frosty's and birthday cake ice cream, worries for me and takes on any little burden I might have. He has been incredible. In the times where I doubt myself, he never has.
7. Buy off the registry. I learned this when I was getting married, actually, but it's a great lesson to always remember. I will have to dedicate a post to some of the silly gifts that I've gotten. My poor grandmother probably wasted nearly $100 on the most hideous clothes that I will NEVER put my daughter in. I would honestly rather her have not bought anything and saved her money. Yes, I know this sounds selfish, but I can't wait to show you some of the things she purchased.
8. Baths are ok to take and will be your best friend. Not everything you read is set in stone. I have been taking baths since the beginning of my pregnancy because my morning sickness was so bad that if I took a shower, the water hitting my face would make me throw up. No joke. Now, I take baths because my body hurts so freaking bad it the best alternative and it really does make me feel so much better!
9. Things will hurt that you didn't even know you had. My advice, keep Tylenol, Coca Cola (for the headaches) and a good chiropractor on hand.
10. The "sleep now" philosophy is a lie. Or a really cruel joke. You will not sleep. You will be tired and achy. You will be so tired that you will cry but you will be unable to sleep. Nobody warned me about this, they just filled my head with "sleep now" and "get all the rest you can". Yes, us first time moms really have no idea what we are getting into but most of us aren't stupid and we know our lives and sleeping patterns will change. But if you really wanted to do us a favor, you would tell us that sleep goes away before the baby gets here. I haven't slept through the night since March (seriously) and from Monday to Wednesday night of this week, I slept for about 6 hours combined. It's not because I'm uncomfortable, it's because pregnancy insomnia is a cruel, cruel B. (this may contribute to some of the incessant crying) But know that when pregnant, you may not sleep at all. And know that when tell a pregnant woman who has not slept in months to "sleep now", it takes every ounce of Jesus she has in her not to put her fist in your face.
Well, I tried to do 5, but apparently I had a few more to add. :)
Happy Friday, Ladies! Enjoy your long weekend!
RStheCon A Total Rewind | Day 3
2 days ago